Paul and Kelci Gardiner

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Traditions

Traditions are a big part of this time of year. I'm curious to know what some of your favorite traditions are. People have many traditions through out the year. I know we do, but my favorite ones are the Christmas and holiday season ones.
Paul and I each grew up with a lot that we want to continue with our kids. We also have been trying to add new traditions to our small family for when we have our own family.
Some of my favorites are getting together with one side of our family and going out to eat then heading up to Heber to our grandparents for the Christmas story, gift exchange, and more visiting with our family. We also get together at my moms on Christmas Eve and do a sibling exchange. Then we go over and do the same thing at Pauls. Usually on Christmas we do the traveling right now and go to one side for breakfast and gifts, this usually ends up being the family we spent Thanksgiving with. Then we go to the other side for Christmas dinner, gifts, and Christmas Day activities.
Paul and I have been trying to figure out some of our own and we found that we both enjoy doing what we've grown up with. We have come up with a few new ideas. Some that we have enjoyed the last couple of years is going to each others family parties and so forth. We also try to stop at each family on Christmas Eve. After we leave his parents we go around his stake to look at the luminiers set up at each home if the weather is actually cooperating. Then we go see a manger that is set up in a field in South Jordan. After that we usually go enjoy a nice cup of hot cocoa. We watch a couple Christmas movies together then he wraps my gifts and other gifts last minute, while watching Scrooge, the musical.
I'm excited for the one this weekend. The year we got married his parents bought gingerbread house decorating kits. We usually get together a week or 2 before Christmas with all the brothers and sisters and decorate the houses. Its fun to be around everyone and to see who is creative and what we all come up with. This has continued the last 4 years and I hope it will go on. Its way fun.
K so I started going off on ours. I'm anxious to hear what you do. I love this time of year. I especially love that we get to spend more time with our families. HOpe you all have a good day.

4 comments :

The Hiatt's said...

One of my favorites that we did with my Dad, was Christmas Eve. Wewould always have sparkling cider in wine glasses, a fire going, Christmas tree all lit up, and my Dad would read/sing us The Night Before Christmas. I miss that tradition the most. I love all of yours!! It all sounds lovely.

Ashley Bybee Stepp said...

Xan and I watch a Russian film called Three Wishes for Cinderella. It's really cute and is set around Christmas time.

Gennaveeve said...

We had all the family parties and all that. But when we would go to my Dad's side, before the chaos of the gift exchange Papa would share a poem or story, and then bear his testimony of Christ and how that's the true meaning of Christmas. I loved that! But on Christmas morning we weren't allowed to wake up mom and dad till 8 so we could open our stockings and on the couch we each had our own box of cereal (we didn't have cereal often at our house, so it was a big deal) and we could eat cereal and go through our stockings until they woke up. Adrian and I are going to keep that on with our kids for sure!

Paul and Kelci said...

Those all sound way fun! Genn, my parents were like that too only they set it for 6:30. When Paul and I were married and stayed there the first christmas I had a sister come pounce on us at 430 to do our stockings. It was funny but annoying at the time. The movie sounds fun. So does sitting by the fire. I miss having a fire place.