Paul and Kelci Gardiner

Monday, August 31, 2009

the effect of music

So i'm not completely sure why i'm blogging this but thats ok. I can do random stuff. Its my blog.
I'm amazed at how much music can effect your life. I love music. I especially love when I hear a song that I havn't heard forever. The best part is when you listen to it that song brings back all the memories you have from that time of your life. Not only does it bring back the memories of whatever was going on at the time but it brings back everything you associated with that song. I know i'm not using the right terms and phrases but oh well. My hubby isn't around to correct me right now. There are certain songs that were a big part of my life and I love when I hear them. Especially if its been years. I've had that kind of experience tonight. I was watching the CMA Festival and trying to get things done. I was in the other room when the Judds performed Love Can Build A Bridge. That was one of my favorite songs when I was 5 or 6. My aunt bought that tape when it was popular and we would play that song over and over whenever I spent time with her. It amazed me that after not listening to it for awhile and never seeing it performed what kind of impact it had. I love that music can do that to you. Some of the other songs that are big in my life or ones I fell in love with as a child are Colin Raye's Little Rock. It may not be the best to associate it with my parents divorce, but thats when it became popular and that when I fell in love with that song. I loved that it was about Arkansas. Thats the home I was leaving. The Beach Boys, KOKOMO. My sister and I would play that over and over and dance with it. Same to Time of my life off of Dirty Dancing. My parents never let me watch the movie but I was allowed to play the very last scene where they danced to that song. I thought I was so cool just to watch that. When I moved to Utah Ace of Base the sign became my song. The busdriver would turn it up for us when that song came on and all of us kids on the bus would sing at the top or our lungs. Then my best friend and I would kareokee to that song and dance to it. Spice Girls Wannabe was awesome. My sister and I totally danced to that song. K well its been kind of fun thinking of songs that have impacted my life in one way or another and brought back fun memories. I can probably go on, but its time to end. Hope everyone had a good August. I can't believe its almost Fall.

3 comments :

Amanda and Chad said...

I totally agree Kelci! I LOVE music and how certain songs can take you back to memories throughout your life. It's so funny the things I remember when I hear certain songs. Everybody should make a soundtrack of thier lives with all the songs that have impacted them good or bad! I want to one day.

The Hiatt's said...

I LOVE MUSIC!!!

HEY KELCI... OUR BASEMENT APT WILL BE VACANT OCT 2 IF YUO GUYS ARE STILL LOOKING FOR ONE..!?!??! LET ME KNOW!
801-688-8912

The Woodland's said...

Thanks for sharing some of the soundtrack of your life, Kelci! It was neat reading which songs your remember and why. And Paul really does seem like an English teacher sometimes, huh? Lol. I love you little brother!