Paul and Kelci Gardiner

Monday, May 18, 2009

California Part 2 : earthquakes, sunburns, beaches, and more

The past couple of days of our vacation have been pretty interesting if not fun. We are having a blast here. As you can tell we spent most of our day today at the beach. The beach is a slice of heaven for us. The water was a little cold so I didn't spend too much time in it, but Paul had a blast with it while I sat out in the sun and pretty much crisped myself. If you look at me you can totally tell where I missed the sunscreen. Hopefully I'll have better luck next time.
So I have a little story to tell and I kind of blame Paul. Yesterday we had a conversation about earthquakes and stuff here. Well last night we actually got to experience one. I have actually been in a few before, never anything bad so I didn't want to be in one but Paul said he would like to know. Well what do you know, we got hit that night. I really have to blame him :) It was funny though cuz honestly we didn't really know it was happening. The epicenter was like 10-15 miles south of the LAX airport (4.7 on richter scale) anyways all of OC got hit. Luckily it was small for us. My grandma's house is an older house and she has wood floor, but when you walk throughout the whole house creaks. I was in the bath and just thought somebody was walking down the hall. I was really into a book and just heard the floors creak and didn't feel any shaking til the end. After that my water sloshed back and forth and made waves and I thought that was strange but I thought if I got out and said something they would think i'm crazy and just nervous since the conversation. According to Paul he thought I was just walking down the hall and coming to join them. Then my grandma woke up and asked if he felt the earthquake. It was kinda funny how it all came about, but in the end I was actually right. For those that actually live here it probably wasn't a big thing but with us being from Utah you can bet it was a deal. It was funny though to realize that people here make a huge deal out of smaller ones too. I think they got more reports on the after shock than the actual place in LA. I hope Paul doesn't want to experience another one cuz if I realized what really was going on I probably would've been super nervous and reacted a lot differently.







2 comments :

The Woodland's said...

Hi guys! It looks like you had a great time! I'm so glad! We had a great time seeing Disneyland with you and hanging out today! Thanks for the great vacation!

The Jarvie Family said...

That is a funny story. We felt it in Murrieta too! Well Robb was on the computer and he said that the whole desk shook, the baby woke up cause her door and crib i guess shook but I didn't really feel it. It was crazy! I like your story better though!