Paul and Kelci Gardiner

Saturday, May 23, 2009

San Juan Capistrano Mission


Mission Facts:
San Juan Capistrano Mission is named after St. John of Capestrano in Italy, warrior priest of 15th century.

The Mission has been founded 2 times.

The cemetery is believed to have 2000 people buried, most of them unmarked. They are all people who helped found the mission.

The bells were originally the bell tower of the great stone church and that crashed in the earthquake of 1812. The bells are used to announce deaths and for other occasions but each bell has a different ring. It is rung specifically to let people know if it were a man, woman, or child and the age of that person.


So I can probably go on about the facts of this mission, but I won't. Paul and I were able to enjoy a trip to San Juan Capistrano. This mission is part of California's History and it was fun to go on this tour. It was pretty cool. They had an audio tour as you went around. The tour included many stories and experiences from the founders and other stuff. The mission includes the Cathedral which happens to be one of two standing churches where Fr. Serra is known to have said Mass. The mission is the 7th of 21 missions that were founded by Father Junipero Serra.
Pictures of the uniforms, beds, rooms. I didn't realized the people were short. When you walked into the bedrooms the door frames were short that we had to bend down to get in.


This is one of the oldest churches if not oldest still standing in California. The cathedral is beautiful. Going to San Juan Capistrano Mission was something I have never done before and I thought it was one of the best things we have done on our trip. I love history and hearing stories about how things came about. If you ever go to California I recommend visiting one of the missions. They have several around here. You will learn a lot. I sure did.

1 comment :

The Woodland's said...

That sounds really interesting! I love all the pictures and how you put them together! I'm glad you had a great day! We'll have to go there the next time we go to California. And thanks for blogging about it.